Houston, TX – The Better Business Bureau, Copy Doctor and Tristar Document Shredding are joining forces on Saturday, October 19th, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m, to provide Houstonians the opportunity to shred documents for free in an effort to help consumers fight identity theft.
Do you have stacks of sensitive paperwork that you do not know what to do with? Have you broken your home shredder trying to maintain your privacy and the security of your personal information? This event is for you! Tristar Document Shredding will be providing on site, secure shredding of sensitive and personal information at the Copy Doctor located at 3814 Bissonnet, Houston. Business or individuals may bring up to 200 pounds of paper (staples, paper clips and credit cards are okay).
“Your credit card bills, statements, offers for credit cards, bank statements and other documents you just have sitting there because you do not have time to shred them in your slow home shredder can be brought in. You can watch it be shredded right here and protect your identity,” said Rex Baggett of Copy Doctor. “As a business who handles millions of document copies each year, we want to educate our community about the safe handling and disposal of those documents. We also take our environmental responsibility seriously and want to be good stewards. The securely shredded documents are recycled by our partner company, Tristar Document Shredding.”
Identity theft continues to be the fastest growing crime of consumer fraud. The Federal Trade Commission reports over 9 million victims in each of the last three years, and Texas ranks 3rd in the amount of reported cases per capita.
Here are some tips on selecting items to shred:
- Keep your tax returns and all supporting documentation for seven years. That includes any credit card statements used for tax-related expenses.
- Keep paycheck stubs for one year.
- Keep bank statements and cancelled checks for at least one year.
- Keep bills until the cancelled check has been returned.
- Keeps bills for large ticket items for insurance purposes.
- Keep items such as birth certificates, social security cards, insurance policies, titles or wills in a safety deposit box and label do not destroy.
For more information call Copy Doctor at 713-661-9100.