Free Shred Day!
Saturday, April 16, 2011 – Houston, TX – What is the safest way to dispose of old bank statements, tax records, credit card statements, and other out-of-date documents? Shred them! Because of potential identity theft, you should never just throw records away in the trash, but it can be difficult to adequately destroy a large number of papers at one time.
The Better Business Bureau, Copy Doctor and Southern Shred are joining forces on Saturday, April 16th, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m, to provide Houstonians the opportunity to shred documents for free in an effort to help consumers fight identity theft.
Identity theft continues to be the fastest growing crime of consumer fraud. The Federal Trade Commission reports over 9 million victims in each of the last three years, and Texas ranks 4th in the amount of reported cases per capita. “The best safeguard against personal identity theft is to regularly destroy confidential personal and business documents,” said Don Sowa, President of Copy Doctor. “As a business who handles millions of document copies each year, we want to be good stewards of our environment. The securely shredded documents are recycled by our partner company, Southern Shred.”
Southern Shred will be providing on site, secure shredding of sensitive and personal information at both Copy Doctor locations: 1101 S. Friendswood Dr., Friendswood or 3814 Bissonnet, Houston. Individuals may bring up to 100 pounds of paper (staples, paper clips and credit cards are okay).
Here are some tips on selecting items to shred:
• Keep your tax returns and all supporting documentation for seven years. That includes any credit card statements used for tax-related expenses.
• Keep paycheck stubs for one year.
• Keep bank statements and cancelled checks for at least one year.
• Keep bills until the cancelled check has been returned.
• Keeps bills for large ticket items for insurance purposes.
• Keep items such as birth certificates, social security cards, insurance policies, titles or wills in a safety deposit box and do not destroy.
For more information call Copy Doctor at 713-661-9100.
# # #